Welcome to Basement Bridge

Weekly updates from Kit Jackson offering hints and tips for the modern Bridge player. Enjoy!

Wednesday 1 May 2013

RISING DAMP


“Why do we play this impossible game, Miss Jones?”

“Oh but Mr Rigsby, I thought you enjoyed the gentle intellectual tussle and the meeting of minds?”

“Oh I do Miss Jones, indeed I do, most certainly. There’s nothing I enjoy more than a meeting and a tussle.”
“It’s so much about margins, Mr Rigsby. You mustn’t let Alan and Philip wind you up so. Look at the board where you played in 2S and made 11 tricks. They laughed at you for not even being in game, didn’t they?”
“It doesn’t affect me Miss Jones, oh no. Water off a duck’s back. Anyway there was nothing else I could do, and you couldn’t bid.”
“Well, actually, there was something else you could have done…”
“Oh? Really, Miss Jones? And what was that then?”
“Well, you see, Alan opened 1N, you bid 2S then All Pass. It could have been so different:

AQ863
AQJ8
A
J73
754                                                J92
K2                                                653
QJ86                                                K93
AK86                                                T942
                        KT
                        T974
T7542
Q5

You made +200 for 11 tricks. But see what happens if – instead of bidding 2S – you Double.”
“But why would I do that Miss Jones?”
“So that your partner can tell you have a good hand. So you can possibly take them for a nice juicy penalty. You’d like that wouldn’t you Mr Rigsby.”
“I certainly would Miss Jones, oh yes, I certainly would. Please continue.”
“After 1NT all simple overcalls of a suit promise LESS than 15 HCP, let’s say about 8 -14; and all Doubles in that position promise 15 or MORE. The Double of 1NT is not like a Take-out double of a suit. It is primarily suggestive of penalties. If you start with a double, Philip, in the East seat, has really no good bid to make. (Unless they’ve agreed some sophisticated defence to your double). I should probably pass and then Alan also has no sensible bid now. You lead a low Spade, I win with the K and then I have to think. Instead of lamely returning a S at trick 2, I look at dummy and see the H suit looks empty. I’m probably never getting the lead again so I must make my move now.”
“Oh yes, please do Miss Jones..”
“I return the HT, trapping Alan’s HK under your AQJ8, you cash the rest of the Spades and the DA giving us 10 Tricks. Doubled! Alan is now 4 Down Doubled for 800! Better than 200. Better even than if we had bid the game for 450.”
“But what if they do start bidding something? They might end up in 2C?”
“In which case with your big hand you Double again. This time they only go 3 off for 500. Still better than any game we make.”
“But what if the Vulnerability’s different?”
“If they are Vulnerable we now get 1100 or 800. Even better!”

Miss Jones is right – as usual. And even if you’re Vulnerable and they’re NV you still do better getting 800. Remember: after 1NT: – X shows any hand 15+.

No comments:

Post a Comment